This is a simple and tasty avocado soup foundation that may be served warm, room temperature, or chilled. Serve a plate or two of the mix-ins and allow folks to fill their own bowls with anything they choose. This soup is a hit with everyone I serve it to. you can serve with tortilla chips.
Holy Guacamole Soup with Grilled Lemon-Jerk Chicken Recipe
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 (10 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon Jamaican jerk seasoning
- 1 large lime, juiced
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced, divided
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ripe avocados, chopped, divided
- ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 ½ cups hot water
- 2 limes, juiced
- Combine lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1 clove garlic in a bowl. Season marinade with salt and pepper, keeping in mind that you will also use jerk seasoning on the chicken later.
- Pound chicken with the flat side of a meat mallet or a rolling pin until about 1/2 inch thick, being careful not to pierce the meat. Put chicken in a gallon-sized resealable plastic bag and add marinade. Squish bag to coat chicken; marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours, ideally overnight for the fullest flavor.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate. Sprinkle chicken with jerk seasoning and place on grill. Grill chicken breasts until cooked through and juices run clear, about 4 minutes on each side. Brush with juice of 1 lime immediately after coming off the grill. Cool slightly and shred. Cover and keep warm.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat until fragrant. Add onion and 3 cloves garlic. Cook until garlic is lightly browned and fragrant and onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add 3 avocados. Saute just until avocados are warm and edges are slightly browned. Pour in orange juice and cook for 2 minutes, stirring once. Remove from heat.
- Combine hot water and chicken bouillon to make a broth. Pour into a blender. Add avocado mixture and juice of 2 limes; blend until smooth. Pour into bowls and serve with the shredded chicken, and optional topics to your likening