Shish Tawook is a classic Middle Eastern skewered chicken dish. Consider exquisitely tender and juicy chicken marinated with aromatic spices, yogurt, lemon juice, and garlic. That’s exactly what my shish tawook recipe delivers. While the recipe is Middle Eastern in origin, you’d be astonished at how simple the ingredients are.
Shish Tawook Grilled Chicken Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- ½ cup plain whole milk yogurt
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, add the ingredients for the marinade (yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, tomato paste, all the seasoning and salt/pepper) and whisk to combine.
- Place the chicken cubes in the same bowl and coat the chicken in the marinade. Cover, and let rest/marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Thread the chicken on skewers right before grilling. Add one wedge of onions to each skewer, if desired.
- Grill on medium heat for 5-8 minutes per side.
- Serve with pita bread, lettuce and garlic sauce, if desired.